Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Groovie Ghoulies "Appetite for Adrenochrome"

For 40 days I will write short blurbs on what I consider the most essential recordings of all time. Enjoy...



In my opinion the Groovie Ghoulies' Appetite for Adrenochrome is one of the best pop punk albums of all time. The Goulies covers of Don't Go Out Into the Rain (You're Going to Melt) from the Herman's Hermits & Lookout! from Neil Diamond (actually written by Neil for The Monkees) are easily the best covers EVER done in punk rock. Although some will claim that the Groovie Ghoulies' sound wasn't refined until later records like Re-Animation Festival I beg to differ and say that what makes Appetite such a gem is it's raw, straightforward musical compositions. Appetite still manages to show Kepi's amazing voice and his ubber awesome vision of campy horror meets the pop sensibilities of American pop legends Neil Diamond and Carly Simon to the mix. Unlike the horror styling of the early Misfits, the Groovie Ghoulies version of horror punk laid more in a Hanna-Barbara world versus a Vampira/Ed Wood world. Appetite for Adrenochrome is an excellent 1st record which still gets me singing along each and every tune.

Tracks to listen for are: My Computer Said Kill, No Blood, Lookout!

Buy it HERE- http://interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=130487&

1 comment:

cheeseburger said...

I picked up the Groovie Ghoulies lp in 1989 because of the cover. I have to say that I was so surprised when I listened to the record. I remember loving the fact that they did 2000 man and Beth! I was and am a HUGE KISS fan going back to 1978 when I first heard Alive 2 as a kid and I of course got all of their 70's releases, and into the 80's up to 1987. This record has so many things going for it, and the best thing is that is has a vibe of teenage to it. Not hardcore but definitely punk. In 1989 I got a new job out of desperation at a sporting goods store and I remember listening to this lp early in my so called career at Oshman's Sporting Goods. Listening to this album in the early morning before "reporting to work" at that dreadful place. This record is definitely a soundtrack to a time in my life I'm glad is long gone. Just incredibly happy that this record endures! Forever! And Oshman's, well they closed in 1995 in the city where I live leaving me without a job. They are now called Sports Authority I think, but back then the only thing Oshman's did for me is give me a marijuana addiction that lasted till 2003. I love this album and everything the Groovie Ghoulies did later. Kepi's solo stuff is different, but check out his stuff with the Accelerators. Great stuff! Bye.