Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Cuban Indiana Jones

I finally got around to watching the new Indiana Jones movie last night. I know, I'm far behind on not getting to the theater earlier to watch the on-going adventures of Dr. Jones, but you may want to read my last post to see why.

I, like every other twentysomething grew up watching the Indiana Jones movies and enjoying the archaeological adventures of Harrison Ford jumping around or being chased by [insert indigenous group here]. However, the latest entry of the Indiana Jones movie feels rushed and too corky to justify a 19 year hiatus. At the end of the day their is no need for this movie in the world. Well that is if only to explain the next set of Ind.. I mean Shia LaBeouf Jones movies.

This movie belongs up there with other croaks such as the entire Tomb Raider series, Resident Evil series and John Leguizamo's The Pest. George Lucas obviously had a lot more say than Spielberg on this one. The same downfalls that Star Wars Episode 1 had are revisited here in the Indy world. Yes reader, it is that bad.

I read somewhere that George Lucas told Spielberg "No matter what we do, fans won't like it." I disagree. I simply think the world does not need anymore George Lucas films. Shit, I'd enjoy a killer new Indiana Jones movie; just not one written by todays George Lucas.

This movie is full of what the Cubans call "Tremendo Paquete" -meaning Huge Pack/Package. Tremendo Paquete is said when something so ridiculous happens in a movie that it's way beyond even Hollywood belief. Think of Happy Days' famous "Jump the shark" saying. That term coined after the Fonz jumped over a shark (godbless broadcasters and their ingenious ways to conjure ratings)


Steven Spielberg just dropped his directorial skills to amateurish at best with this one. What Lucas did to kill any hope for the Star Wars franchise with Episode 1 he managed to do here with Indiana Jones. In closing, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crtstal Skull is Tremendo Paquete my friend.

-chuck

1 comment:

Unknown said...

don't diss The Pest!